Letchworth Garden City was founded in 1903 and built between the old villages of Norton, Willian and Letchworth. They've all to some extent since been subsumed by the Garden City while retaining some of their villagey feel. All three have their medieval churches. Letchworth old church - the original dedication of which seems to have been lost over the years, but in the 20th century was assigned to St Mary - stands next to what's now the Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel. This was originally the manor house, and was in the mid 19th century the home of one of the great Victorian eccentrics, the Rev John Alington.
|Chancel arch, northern respond|
|Looking west; the arch and timbers supporting the bellcote are visible|
|Chancel roof, 15th century|
|View of the tower built by Sir John Alington (now part of the hotel) from the church|
|Watercolour, J C Buckler, c.1840|
|Rubbings of the church's brasses. Top, a priest holding a heart, 1475; bottom, a couple, c.1400.|